- To ensure all pupils achieve their full potential in geography
- To build a solid foundation of geographical knowledge about significant places – including their physical and human characteristics
- To build a solid foundation of geographical skills needed to:
- collect, analyse and communicate a range of data gathered through fieldwork
- interpret geographical information e.g. maps, diagrams, globes and aerial photographs
- communicate geographical information in a variety of ways
- To inspire in pupils a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people so that they become inspiring and caring members of the local and global community
The Geography curriculum at Roach Vale Primary School aims to develop all children's love of learning and curiosity about the world around them, both the wider world and their local environment.
The UK theme runs throughout the curriculum. Our pupils will experience a creative, broad, and balanced curriculum which will equip them with a deepening knowledge and understanding of diverse places and cultures, as well as natural and human environments, while always comparing and contrasting this learning with their own personal experiences.
The children will become increasingly adept at locating different places using maps and globes, as well as understanding a broad range of geographical vocabulary and being able to confidently use this vocabulary in discussions and in their work. This learning will be enriched through engaging and inspiring books (in line with our vocabulary rich curriculum https://roachvaleprimary.co.uk/our-children/curriculum-1/curriculum-information) to help pupils develop their vocabulary and love for learning.